Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NOG 30: Format Change

You'll notice something a little different about this week's episode. Instead of rambling on and on, we're trying a more focused show. You won't hear about our weeks or what games we've played. Instead, we're jumping right to the topic. Hopefully it'll make a show a little leaner and meaner. We'd love to hear what you think; feel free to let us know what you think of the change. We're not sure it's permanent as of yet, and we'll continue to play with the format until it feels right.

This week we talk about cognitive dissonance, otherwise known as stuff just not making sense. Does the show make sense? I dunno, maybe there's some cognitive dissonance at play there. Who knows? I don't. Man, it's hard to write funny copy for the new show format.

Instead... MORE DUCKS!



That duck was short, sweet, and to the point. Kind of like this episode!

[display_podcast]

10 comments:

  1. One of the greatest examples of CD is personal inventory in games...think about everything you carry around with you in Minecraft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving explanation for things in games is good and all, but I think that more so then other mediums, games have to leave a lot more things unexplained just because coming up with an explanation for every single gameplay feature would be extremely hard to do.

    As for the format, I'd just like to say that nobody listened to Control Point because of the serious discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pls readd your weeks to the beginning of each episode. it's always fun to listen to.
    and rambling is not so bad.
    weeks+rambling+serious discussion+more rambling = AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the more focused episode but why were you gone so long?! baby dont leave me alone without tellin me where you're goin again or so help me! *raises hand for backhand slap*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how they tackle death in Planescape Torment.
    The main character is an immortal, death is meaningless and the game is based around him finding out why he is so. He also has amnesia due to gradual deterioration of his body and mind. Eventually you find a journal but at the beginning some instructions are carved into your back which a disembodied sarcastic skull reads for you.

    A piece of CD from that particular game though would be having to constantly ask if you can ask another question, just so you can go back to the dialog menus with the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new format was good, but listening to your weeks is always fun. If you were able to constrain the weeks section to a shorter time, you'd almost have the format perfect IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not wanting to sound too mean by this comment, but I don't really like the quick jump to serious discussion. I happen to enjoy hearing about what kind of games you guys have been playing and what you've been up to and it was one of the things I liked, back in the day, about your old CP podcast. The rambling is fun to listen to and without it the show kinda dragged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 40-some minute episode sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kinda dislike the neglect NoG is getting... It is certainly getting the SHAFT. You make NoG even shorter and take out your weeks and news, two categories I really enjoyed. You only posted one episode so far in november compared to the shaft's 3 or maybe 4 now. I know you all enjoy minecraft but I think the general gaming podcast deserves more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes me a little sad that you're thinking of cutting it down. The main reason I listen to you guys is because I like your rambling.

    ReplyDelete