Tuesday, February 23, 2010

NOG 06: Where Did My Money Go?

Dear Diary,

Well, it happened again. For financial reasons, I'm forced to once again choose between my two greatest needs; either I can buy Final Fantasy XIII or I can pay rent. Why does this always happen to me? Maybe it's because I only make $200 a week fetching snacks for George Broussard, but hey, at least I'm working in the industry. Maybe I shouldn't spend all $200 a week on games and gaming accoutrement, but come on, how am I supposed to not buy games? That $100 super collector's version of God of War III isn't going to buy itself, you know! I have to buy it. WITH REAL MONEY. I guess I'll go sell plasma again. That's got to be worth at least the cost of a strategy guide! I'd try prostitution, but that didn't work out so well last time. Oh, that reminds me, I TOTALLY got Trisha's number! Now I just have to buy a phone and then I can call her!

Eric is mysteriously absent this week. Perhaps he was abducted by dingos? I hear that's happening a lot these days. At any rate, the other three "hosts" yak it up about the cost of gaming. Did you know that Spencer spent approximately 6.2 million dollars on games last year?

[display_podcast]

7 comments:

  1. Yay got meh question answered =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Included the audience."

    Where's my song that I sent in? I sent the song in the first week NoG came out and it's still not out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I've been actually wanting for a while now is to have access to the google doc you guys use. Like when Spencer mentioned he had like 4 listings of WOW on his, I wanted to read it and see what he had written. I think it would just be one more little step for you guys, and would let me connect to the podcast more.
    Love it guys, transferred over from CP, and just love hearing your voices! Great quality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd just typed "World of Warcraft" six times :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been listening since the end of CP. And I was reading the article on "How much it costs to make a modern video game."
    At the end of the article they mention how developers are trying to add lots of microtransactions for extra content.

    Valve has been adding content and updating (not just stability issues) their games and have seen incredible sales numbers. The price-cut weekends and deals they offer get their games played, and by word of mouth players recommend their games to friends.

    Maybe it's just me but seeing lots of little microtransaction expansions on a game make me think. "How much of this could have just been in one expansion? Couldn't this content have been in the game originally? Why do I have to pay extra after already buying a $50 game?"
    I think developers or publishers have seen the success of community created content for games and are trying to profit by keeping it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a Razer Carcharias for Christmas. I really like em, they sound good, are awesome, and stuff like that. the only problem I've had with em is that the "on", "off", and volume are worn off.

    I recently bought Borderlands, It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete